Laurie Wins the Best Wife Award
I have taken way to long to give out this award, but hey I am a self centered jerk that only thinks of myself, so what can I say. . . as the song says "I'm still a guy".
I was sitting in my man cave one night after a long day of screaming kids (at the office and then at home) and I was having a mid life crisis. Laurie came in and sat beside me like any good wife would do and tried to cheer me up. I told her that life was just not good today. I was going through a mid life crisis. Some people would go out and buy a car, or possibly a mail order bride from Sweden. I just told her how bad of an artist I was and I couldn't "draw" a hunt anywhere. I needed to go hunting. Laurie, being the good Doobie she is told me to cheer up, maybe there would be a land owner tag out there somewhere we could pick up. I whimpered and said, "It just wouldn't be fall if I couldn't see something fall!"
Well, a few weeks past and it was now a couple days from our 10 year wedding anniversary. Life would be good once again. I could put my toes in the water, my butt in the sand, and a cold dew in my hands. . . . . life is good today. Southern California would be a great break from life and all the screaming kids at home and work. So we were to leave in two days, and Laurie broke the news to me. We were not going to San Diego, but to snowy Idaho to hunt Elk. She bought me a land owner tag. I just stood there in shock like a kid that just had gotten that Red Rider BB gun and I really did in fact shoot my eye out. I would go hunting and Laurie would have a relaxing few days at the lodge.
Now the only funny thing about this is I have never been Elk hunting before. Sure I have killed over 20 or so deer (mule and white tail), but not an animal the size of a horse. The biggest gun I have is a 25-06. That is not big enough to kill an elk, well unless you shoot his eye out and he runs into a tree knocking himself unconscience and then I can run up and kill him with my bare hands. So I called my Uncle Keith to borrow his 300 mag. The only thing was that Keith didn't have it ready to kill. So he took the afternoon off work and got it ready. Thanks Uncle Keith.
Millie and Burke were left at home with my cousin for the entire 5 days, and Elizabeth (2 months old), Laurie, and I took off for Idaho to hunt elk. The land we were hunting was very steep mountains near the Tetons. The guy who owned the land said his son (24 years old) would guide us around and help us shoot a big one.
When we got to the lodge, Laurie was in heaven. There was lots of food and a big place for her to organize her pictures for a few days. I was in heaven because the guide said he had seen a few big ones and he knew we could get a sneak on them. We headed out the first day and I only saw one Elk that day. It was a half a mile away and almost too dark to shoot. The guide said it was too little anyway. It was only a massive 7 x 7. I think he had a little weed that morning. Too little?
The next morning we only saw three more elk. I was getting a little worried, as we only had two more days to go and there were not too many elk on these mountains. It was very cold, and I am not sure if they all went down, or were all Shot. Then the excitement all happened. He started yelling at me to get to the top of the hill. I was climbing as fast as I could, but you can only go so fast with a gun, 7 layers of cloths, and a back pack. At the top of the hill we spotted down in a ravine the biggest animal I had ever seen. He was 200 yards away, and as he moved the trees went with him. I shot three times and all three were good hits, and he didn't even look as if I had done anything too him. I will spare the story for you vegetarians (an old Indian word for "Bad Shot"). He died, and the pictures are above. The official Gross score was 391. We never took a net score because who needs the deductions anyway.
This was by far the funnest thing I have ever done in my life. Thank you Laurie. I love you!
Happy 10 year Anniversary!!!!!!
9 comments:
Jeremy,
This is Eric. I just read your 10th anniversary special catch of the day. Even though I'm not a hunter (wish I was), the picture says a thousand words. Pretty amazing and huge rack. I wish I was there too. Glad to hear you're doing well and got a break away from the busy life.
Eric Blamires
Seeing those pictures on your little camera just didn't do the thing justice! Wow, that thing IS huge! Congrats. I can't wait to see it on your man cave wall...do you have a wall tall enough?
Glad you took the break from the kids and your busy life. You guys deserve it.
If you ever want to "reward" your amazing wife, book her a trip to NYC, give her an extra ticket and tell her to take me! Now, that would let her know how wonderful she is!
Laurie take a closer look at the first picture. Looks like a knife is going through your head!
OH MY HECK! That thing is HUGE! I am SO feeling like I have missed a lot of "Falls" without "falls"! Where did Laurie get the information? I have to find out about this place! That thing is seriously incredible! I thought it was a moose at first glance! Laurie... you really know how to keep a hunter happy. :) I say any vacation is nice, but that was a true sacrifice! Thanks so much for sharing! Can't wait to show my fam.
What an anniversary present! I love that Laurie FINALLY won the best wife award. That was an awesome elk Jeremy. Next time Rusty said he would meet you...and I'll stay with Laurie in the lodge.
I would say she is the wife of the year giving up SD for hunting. Great story...nice kill. Miss you guys! Happy New Year.
You are lucky!!! I don't know very many wives who would trade San Diego and sun and the beach for Idaho and hunting.
Wow. Good thing you're not going to bring that one back to string up in our garage, I think the roof would collapse! That's HUGE Jeremy!! We are all very impressed! I hope the wall in your man cave can hold that rack.
Laurie, what a good wife you are, and now you're finally being awarded for it!
We got your stickers in the mail yesterday, Brenna (and Eli) were so excited, thanks so much! Hope things are going well for you all! You need to post some more pictures of little Elizabeth, I bet she's getting huge!
Yeah I think that wins a prize for sure! Matt went through one of those "own your own business mid-life meltdown crisis" but he bought a car. Yours was probably a lot cheaper...
Post a Comment